Being in Japan is great.
Being in Japan as an English gamer, is not.
I thought after coming here I could easily brush up on my Japanese and play games like idom@ster and Professor Layton no problem. That isn’t the case.
My Japanese is still so-so, definitely not good enough to make quick decisions or fully understand the storylines of certain RPGs for sure.
So I stick to English games. I started using Steam this spring and with my new PC setup it has been an excellent way to keep in touch with the latest releases and play with (read: teabag) my friends online.
Also, after a weekend of tedious Japanese router/modem shenanigans, finally opening my Xbox’s NAT ports and allowing me to play SSF4, Blazblue, and Halo with people from Japan and the rest of the world.
But my main problem is the Xbox games themselves. I am a big fan of the console, and having to wait for PAL games to be imported TO Japan for once is extremely annoying. I guess I took preorders and high street shops for granted back home!
But, there are millions of options. eBay, if the sellers are decent (especially for hunting down Limited Editions), playasia if they have a region-free copy of the game in stock (99% of the time they don’t), or asking a friend to send me the game over. The latter is actually the best and fastest method, believe it or not, so a big thank you to all my UK friends for helping me out so far!
As I mentioned, I will be coming back to the UK for Christmas this year. So here is my list of games I will be picking up when I go home. November 2011 is an incredible time for game releases and I am so gutted that I am missing out!
- Sonic Generations Limited Edition (I already own the Sonic 10th anniversary Limited Edition so owning the 20th is no exception!)
- Sonic Generations DS (Sonic Colours DS did not disappoint so I have high hopes for this!)
- Gears of War 3 (No brainer)
- Rayman Origins
- Halo Anniversary (Again, no brainer, but this time I refuse to do Legendary alone).
- Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (US Version, since the UK one has no London Life minigame, the hell?)
- Driver SF (Free from work, thanks guys!)
Honestly, I cannot wait. This is why I keep such a big buffer of comics ready for Crazy Sunshine. Just incase a month of playing nothing but videogames comes along. Oh look, it already has!
So, what games are you looking forward to before 2012?